Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MADAGASCAR - is it 480p ?

Hi all members & readers,

Anyone manage to play Madagascar in 480p ?

I connect my x2VGA+ to my PC monitor and it can play ALL games in 480p or 720p EXCEPT for Madagascar. The LED is dark when Madagascar disk is put in meaning the soucre is only 480i. But the box at the back says it support 480p

Anyone can help solve this problem ?

Thanks

Someone here (apart from me) is bound to know, but in the mean time, perhaps you could call the publishers.
    Art in Heaven. As seen on Channel 4 (thrice), and the Birmingham Evening Mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Art in Heaven
      Someone here (apart from me) is bound to know, but in the mean time, perhaps you could call the publishers.
      Thanks for responding.

But the problem is that I am staying in Singapore and ActiVision (the publisher) does not have an office here.

I tried calling Microsoft Singapore but they said not their problem. They asked me to contact the publisher. But the publisher of Madagascar do not have an offce in S'pore.

Looks like the Madagascar game is now keeping dust.

Anyone there can help ?

Comment

Try here mate.

https://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-...er/std_alp.php

hth
        I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Comment

Originally posted by clogger
          Thanks buddy for the link.

Hope I will get a reply from them.

Thanks

Comment

No problem.

They should reply ;-)

Good luck.

Comment

I have looked at several reviews, and they all mention how much better the game looks in 480p, so it must use it. However, I also found several games forums where pretty much everyone says the 480p option is not available. So what's going on?

If you are feeling brave, and you've backed up your original to your Xbox's hard drive, you could try following the advice on THIS link, and do a partial rewrite of the games 'default.xbe' file.

If you decide to do this, or you decide instead to wait for Activision to reply, please let us know how you got on.

Comment

I have looked at several reviews, and they all mention how much better the game looks in 480p, so it must use it. ?
                Yes, the game in 480p is certainly much better.
                However, I also found several games forums where pretty much everyone says the 480p option is not available. So what's going on
                It depends on the publisher who produced the disk/games. Those older games are onlly in 480i. But majority of the Xbox games (at least for those in Singapore) are in 480p even though there are some games like FifaStreet & Soul Caliber II which are produced in 720p, Enter the Matrix in 1080i. What format these format are produced are usually printed at the back of the box.

In Madagascar case, the box for NTSC/J version released for Singapore market clearly stated 480p, which I now seriously doubt !!

If you are feeling brave, and you've backed up your original to your Xbox's hard drive, you could try following the advice on THIS link, and do a partial rewrite of the games 'default.xbe' file.
                I do not quite understand the posting there as it is too technical. Over here in Singapore, it is illegal to mod the console.
                If you decide to do this, or you decide instead to wait for Activision to reply, please let us know how you got on.
                I am still waiting for the response from ActiVision, the question reference number is 050723-000040. I will post here once I got the reply from them which they said will be given in the next 24 hours

Comment

I wonder if this could simply be a region problem?

Bill did decide that the pal boxes should not have hi-def output.

Hope you get sorted.

Comment

However, I also found several games forums where pretty much everyone says the 480p option is not available. So what's going on

Originally posted by ryan_khoo
                    It depends on the publisher who produced the disk/games. Those older games are onlly in 480i.
                    Perhaps your problem is that you read the manual about as well as you read my post. The 'several games forums' I refered to, were talking about MADAGASCAR, (the game you may remember you asked for help with), and I was pointing out that they agreed with you in that the game (MADAGASCAR, incase you are still confused as to which game I'm refering to) states it will run in 480p yet fails to.

Comment

Originally posted by clogger
                      I wonder if this could simply be a region problem?

Bill did decide that the pal boxes should not have hi-def output.

Hope you get sorted.
                      But most (if not all) of our NTSC/J games in Singapore are in 480p. Stated at the back of the box as HDTV 480p

Comment

Perhaps your problem is that you read the manual about as well as you read my post. The 'several games forums' I refered to, were talking about MADAGASCAR, (the game you may remember you asked for help with), and I was pointing out that they agreed with you in that the game (MADAGASCAR, incase you are still confused as to which game I'm refering to) states it will run in 480p yet fails to.
                        Ok, thks Mr Art-in-Heaven for your clarification

I am now pretty convince that the publisher (in this case ActiVision) has produced the disk wrongly.

I played the Madagascar at my sister's house on Sharp Aquos LCD TV Model LC26GA5M. This Sharp LCD TV automatically detects and displayed the signal received and can play 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i signals. All other games are displayed as 480p, with FifaStreet & Soul Caliber II displayed as 720p. But sadly Madagascar is displayed only as 480i. At least in the Sharp TV, the games can be played bcos it support 480i. But x2VGA+ cannot play in 480i

This serves to confirm my suspicion that Madagascar is not 480p as claimed at the back of the box by the Publisher. Though I have not receive the reply from the publisher but if this true and even if the publisher admit the mistake, I think it cost too much for me to send the disk over to US (or wherever) in exchange for one which is in 480p (that is if they ever produced one in 480p)

What a bad luck ... sigh....

Comment

I have received the reply from ActiVision. The answer is evasive. All I need to know was whether it is produced wrongly in 480i.

And their clever answer was:

"Hello,

We do not support the use of scalers on LCD monitors. Only HDTVs are supported. If you have any further questions feel free to contact us."

I have further sent a a question as follows:

"I have played the Madagascar NTSC/J version that marketed in Sinagpore on a 26" Sharp Aquos HDTV that support all signals from 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. This Sharp HDTV auto-detects the signal from the source and displayed it on the screen.

The signal from Sharp Aquos indicated that the source from Madagascar is 480i.

It would be appreciated if you could kindly investigate whether the Madagascar NTSC/J that was marketed in Singapore was wrongly produced in 480i ?

Or was it a printed error at the back of the box claiming that it is 480p when it is actually in 480i ?

Please confirm and do not evade the question.

Thank you."

I think they will again evade the question and say that the problem lies in the switches of the Sharp HDTV.... sigh....

Comment

The auto reply is as follows:-

"The reference number for your question is '050725-000033'.

You should receive a response by email from our support department within the next business day.

If you need to add information to or cancel your question, you can do so by updating it through the questions sub area of the 'My Stuff' section of this site."

I will update you guys when I receive further response.

Wish me luck....

Comment

UPDATE:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. As expected, I am have been kicked around in cirles.

Attached are the reponses from Activision in chonological order (most recent ones appear on top):-
                              .................................................. .......................................

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
                              center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you
                              within 96 hours.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL!

To update your question in order to receive further support, click the
                              following link or paste it into your web browser-
                              http://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-b...ted=1122137701

Subject
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------
                              Hello there, I live in Singapore. My version of Madagascar is Xbox NTSC/J. At...

Discussion Thread
                              Response (Kirk McNesby) - 07/27/2005 11:40 AM
                              Hi,

If Microsofts Singapore support number is listed in the back of the manual as
                              the one to contact you will need to contact them again, and if they tell you
                              they can't help you may want to ask them why they are listed as the support
                              contact in the manual.

As far as which of the regional support contacts would be appropriate for you to
                              contact as I've said before I have no idea.

I am going to have to ask you to stop contacting us regarding this issue. We've
                              given you all the information we have several times and there is nothing new we
                              can add to this issue.

Customer - 07/27/2005 08:41 AM
                              I have a copy of the manual. I purchased the version of the game localized in
                              Singapore but at the back of the manual it just mentioned Activision ...
                              blah.blah...

However, inside the manual, there is a Product Support tel number. The number is
                              Microsoft Singapore's office number. I called them but they said it is a 3rd
                              party software so not their problem and adke me to refer to you.

Looks like I am going in circle, like a football being passed around. Sound
                              kinda fun to you guys, right ?

The link that you gave me, can u suugest which one is the best to approach ?

Though I don't have much faith that this will be resolved, I still thank you &
                              look forward to your reply.

Response (Kirk McNesby) - 07/26/2005 06:20 PM
                              Hi,

I have no idea which region supports singapore, I wasn't being evasive I'm just
                              not sure. If you purchased a version of the game localized for your region the
                              appropriate contact info will be in the back of the manual. If you don't have
                              the manual check the link I sent you and pick which one seems best.

Customer - 07/26/2005 06:08 PM
                              Can you please tell me which region support Singapore ?

I have sure all will follow your evasive style of answering questions. So, would
                              appreciate if you tell me to click which region that support Singapoe Customer
                              Service ?

Thanks

Response (Kirk McNesby) - 07/26/2005 12:34 PM
                              Hi,

You will find a list of the regions we have supported running out of in the
                              following link. Please locate the one nearest you and contact them.
                              https://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-...vi_contact.php

Customer - 07/25/2005 06:42 PM
                              I have make sure that that my HD pack for the Xbox and that it is connected to
                              the Sharp Aquos HDTV via component cables. I have also make sure that the Xbox
                              is set to display in 480p in the dashboard options.

For your info, all other games are displayed as 480p except Madagascar which is
                              480i.

Can tell me why ?

Where to look for support in Singapore ?

Microsoft Singapore asked me to contact you there but you say you don't support
                              Singapore, then who support Singapore ?

Thanks

Response (Sam Akiki) - 07/25/2005 12:39 PM
                              Hello,

I have no way to find this information. We only provide help for the North
                              American version of the game. I can only say that the North Amercian versions of
                              the game are in 480p. You should make sure that you have the HD pack for the
                              Xbox and that you are connecting via component cables. Also make sure that the
                              Xbox is set to display in 480p in the dashboard options. If you have any further
                              questions feel free to contact us.

Customer - 07/25/2005 08:33 AM
                              I have played the Madagascar NTSC/J version that marketed in Sinagpore on a 26"
                              Sharp Aquos HDTV that support all signals from 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. This
                              Sharp HDTV auto-detects the signal from the source and displayed it on the
                              screen.

The signal from Sharp Aquos indicated that the source from Madagascar is 480i.

It would be appreciated if you could kindly investigate whether the Madagascar
                              NTSC/J that was marketed in Singapore was wrongly produced in 480i ?

Or was it a printed error at the back of the box claiming that it is 480p when
                              it is actually in 480i ?

Please confirm and do not evade the question.

Thank you.

Response (Sam Akiki) - 07/25/2005 07:23 AM
                              Hello,

We do not support the use of scalers on LCD monitors. Only HDTVs are supported.
                              If you have any further questions feel free to contact us.

Auto-Response - 07/23/2005 09:55 AM
                              Title: This game does not load or crashes on my Xbox
                              Link:
                              http://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-b...ted=1116442606

Title: How many save slots are there?
                              Link:
                              http://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-b...ted=1116441771

Title: Hints, cheats and strategy guide info
                              Link:
                              http://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-b...ted=1116442403

Title: How do I play the game with simultaneous players?
                              Link:
                              http://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-b...ted=1117158665http://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-b...ted=1116439118

Customer - 07/23/2005 09:55 AM
                              Hello there,

I live in Singapore. My version of Madagascar is Xbox NTSC/J.

At the back of the cover box it says that it is HDTV 480p compatible.

My Xbox console is connected to my LCD monitor via x2VGA+. When I placed the
                              Madagascar disk into it, x2VGA+ cannot detect any 480p signal. It only detects
                              480i signal and 480i image is not playable thru x2VGA+. All other games have no
                              prblem except this Madagascar.

Is the disk that sold for Singapore market produced wrongly without 480p. I
                              tried changing another Madagascar disk but the result is the same.

Thanks

Question Reference #050723-000039
                              Product Level 1: XBox
                              Product Level 2: Madagascar
                              Date Created: 07/23/2005 09:55 AM
                              Last Updated: 07/27/2005 11:40 AM

Explanation

[---001:005679:25705---]

Kirk McNesby
                              Activision Customer Support Representative

Comment

Working...
                              X